Monday, March 4, 2019

COMP7004 Class 06.1






We watched the first 50 minute Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others).  This depicts life in the DDR in the late1980s.

I had hoped that we would watch the entire movie over two classes, but it is much longer than I remembered it.  And it is 

m u c h  s l o w e r.

In the next class we will watch the last 40 minutes or so.  We will skip the middle.  This time will give us some time for discussion.


Some students expressed concern after class that I had not warned them in advance of the content.  The last segment of the movie depicts a woman running in front of a truck and dying.


I was asked if we could cancel Wednesday's class because students have very little else on that day.  But I'm not able to do that.  So I hope to see you there.













Deutschland '83 is a very entertaining series available to stream for free on Channel 4 that deals with same period.

No comments: