Thursday, February 20, 2014

Class Recordings will Stop Soon

Making recordings of classes is becoming increasingly difficult and time consuming with the hardware I have. My machine is so slow that I'm not able to record to classes back to back anymore. My ability to properly record sound is starting to fail.

It's a pity that my experiments in putting classes online should end for money reasons. A lot of potential value is added to my teaching by making classes available online. It's hard to put a precise money value on it. But given how much I cost the taxpayers in a year, even a 1% increase in added value would justify the price of a new laptop every year.

The saddest part though is that it makes me feel like my efforts are not valued.

I'll continue to muddle through. But students should expect fewer classes to be available online from now on. Recordings from previous years will still be available. So they may be useful in filling in any gaps.

1 comment:

Colin Manning said...

It seems I can still record provided that I use the correct USB port. So that's something.

I learned today that some budget has come through to replace old machines. So hopefully I'll be swimming in CPU cycles and RAM soon.

My plan for world domination is back on schedule! :-)