Tuesday, October 26, 2010

CMOD6001 Paper Introductions corected

I have read all the introductions that were submitted. Students can read individual comments by logging back into TurnItIn.

Some general point that came up:
I believe I made the plagiarism point very clearly. I certainly made it repeatedly. But I probably won't make it again.

Some students didn't get organized enough to submit anything. Other students just threw something together. I don't know which is worse. But both classes of student have lost a valuable opportunity for some early feedback.

We will talk about style and tone in class some day soon. For this kind of writing it is best not to talk about "I" "me" nor "the reader". Also stuff like "in this paper I will talk about ..." is best avoided.

Make your point. What are you saying? Just say it. There is no need for big words nor flowery language. Thinking clearly and writing clearly is what matters most.

Some students took this exercise seriously. They got feedback, some of it harsh, all of it useful. Well done to them.

No comments: