Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Electives

I am very unhappy with how the Free Choice system is being implemented.

From a student's point of view it is very confusing. The list of Free Choice modules contains at least one module that in not in fact running. Students are expected to make their choices with very little information. To register they need the CRN for the module which they are supposed to get from the lecturer. Ideally students would attend the first one or two classes to get a feel for the subject and get the CRN there. As it is, however, each student is expected to track down the lecturer concerned and request the CRN. There is no published timetable for the modules that might allow the students to find the class.

From a lecturer's point of view it is also very unsatisfactory. I have been assigned a Free Choice module to teach. When I went to my account on the registration system I could not see it. I later found that not only was the module not associated with me, it did not even exist in the system. So it was impossible for any student to register. This week, at a minimum, I should be meeting students and explaining to them what the course is about. Ideally I should actually make a start. I don't know where to go. If this module has been timetabled in a classroom, I have no way of finding it, despite being the only person that is teaching it. I have asked and no one will tell me where to go.

No comments: