Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Strike Day

I was up at 0545 making coffee for the troops, but the person who was
supposed to collect it was way late so I could have had a lie in. The
coffee making went on until about 11, when the TUI ran out of paper
cups. So I threw what was left down the sink and cleaned up.

My picket shift was from 1400 for 2 hours. It wasn't as busy as I
thought it would be, and not nearly as busy as it should have been. I
was disappointed to learn that the President of CIT went to work. I
can't imagine he hac anything so important, but I suspect he imagines
that his work is very important. Perhaps he was making a point. If so,
I'm curious to know what it was. I saw a few cars drive in and a few
people go in on foot. Since everything was pretty much closed, I can't
imagine what they were doing. Perhpas they too were making a point.

I thought we should have been out in Melbourne Rd where passing
traffic could have seen us. It was after all just a publicity stunt. I
didn't listen to the radio to hear how the whole thing was playing out.

All in all I don't think it was a huge success, which is why I voted
no to it in the first place.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next week.

Colin Manning, Dept. of Computing
Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland

No comments: