Friday, November 14, 2008

COM1 Presentation Videos

I recorded video and audio of the in-class presentations in order to have a record to help me with assessment. However I have received a number of requests from students for copies of the audio and video. The audio recordings are of very high quality but I am in the middle of some jobs at home and the cables I need are in a mystery box somewhere in the house. I do not have the kit I need to digitize the audio at CIT. The quality of the video is very poor, but I have it handy. So I can provide the video very easily.

I believe that audio and video recordings of individuals constitute personal data that are covered by the Data Protection Act. Consequently I am not prepared to make the recordings widely available without the permission of those who appear in them.

If you would like to see the video recording of your group's presentation please e-mail me the names and ID numbers of all the members of the group. Since student's ID numbers are not generally known to anyone other than the student, I will accept the provision of a student's ID number as permission to release the video to all members of the group. I will e-mail the URL to one of the members of the group. If the members of the group choose to distribute the URL widely after that, that is their choice, not mine.

Each group will be provided with a single video clip. I am not prepared to chop the video into student-specific segments.

I will be happy to delete any group's presentation at the request of any member of the group (please supply ID number), but students should be aware that in the digital world it is very difficult to put the genie back in the bottle once it has been released. So students should think carefully before giving permission to post the clip in which they appear.

No comments: