Monday, November 17, 2008

Turn It In

www.TurnItIn.com is my new favourite toy. I used to spend hours before correcting assignments identifying those that were ripped off from web sites and the sites they were ripped off from. TurnItIn does all that for me.

The interface is poorly designed, but it does the job. And it's not terribly sophisticated. But the cheating strategy of the average CIT student is not terribly sophisticated either. A product like TurnItIn shifts the balance of effort so that the trouble a student has to go to to avoid detection is much closer to what it might take to actually do the work for real. And the effort the lecturer has to go to catch (and more importantly verify) cheating is greatly reduced.

I don't know what I'll do with all the time I'll save. Maybe real work!

Perhaps I should conserve my enegry for the "No one told me cheating was wrong" Appeals.

No comments: