Tuesday, February 7, 2012

iTunesU

I was all set today to start uploading my classes to iTunes you. Two years ago I setup of a podcast server. I had imagined that the latest version of the software would be a huge improvement on the previous one, but it's still very clunky. I held off publishing classes so far this semester in anticipation of submitting them to the automated server. But if the pieces don't fall into place soon I must have to manually type the RSS feed myself. That's pointless donkey work.

If Apple plans to sell an iPad to every student and wants lecturers' content to be the draw it is going to have to take seriously the server side part of the equation. Using the server product it is hard to believe it's from the same company that makes iPods. The list of things I would fix if I was in charge is too long for me to start on.

On a positive note, Google+ is working out well for be so far. The ease with which I can publish a video is amazing (take note Apple). There hasn't been too much interaction with students on G+ yet, at least not with me. They may be interacting with each other, but I don't think so. I think the social element of education technology is often ignored. That's why I think something like G+ or FaceBook is the way to go.

No comments: